BOOKS & LITERATURE
- Fuel Economy Guide
- Find gas mileage and emissions ratings for new and used cars
- Institute for Consumer Credit Education
- Assists low-to-moderate income consumers with issues such as housing, bankruptcy and foreclosure
- Sell or recycle your used electronic gadgets
- Sell your used books and textbooks
- Valore Books
- Buy/Sell your used and new college textbooks
- Low-priced (not free) college textbook rentals
- Charity Navigator
- A resource for charitable giving
- Annual Credit Report
- AnnualCreditReport.com is the ONLY authorized, secure source to get your free annual credit report under federal law.
- Cook County Assessor
- Cook County Clerk
- Cook County Treasurer
- Cook County Department of Public Health
- Cook County Public Guardian
- Chicago Bar Association
- Check for Judicial Evaluations
- Cook County Clerk Election
- Register to vote, find your polling place and sample ballots
- Illinois Low Income Energy Assistance Program.
- Illinois Home Weatherization Assistance Program.
- Nicor Gas
- Links to programs with assistance for gas bills.
- People’s Energy
- More links to programs with assistance for gas bills.
- Exelon (Com Ed)
- Assistance programs for electric bills.
- Keep Warm Illinois
- Home energy information from the Governor’s office.
- The Federal Government’s web portal to a vast array of information and services.
- The White House
- Information and programs from the Administration of 44th President Barack Obama.
- Rich Township Food Pantry
- Thornton Township Food Assistance Program
- Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Catholic Charities Nutrition Services
- Together We Cope
GENEALOGY AND LOCAL HISTORY
- Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society
- A national organization located in Washington D.C.
- A resource for African ancestored genealogy
- Historic Pullman Society
- Serving the Pullman Historic District in South Chicago
- Homewood Historical Society
- Serving neighboring Homewood
- Illinois African-American Genealogy
- Links to relevant records and databases
- Illinois State Genealogical Society
- Research ancestors with an Illinois connection. Includes the Cemetery Location Project
- Illinois State Historical Society
- Fosters awareness, understanding, research and preservation of Illinois history
- Latter Day Saints Family History Record
- You will find local Family History Centers located in Chicago Heights and Orland Park
- National Archives
- Historical depository of public records from the United States Federal government
- Newberry Library Genealogy
- Extensive genealogy collections. Includes Chicago Ancestors which shows history based on map locations
- South Suburban Genealogical and Historical Society
- Serving South Cook County and east Will County, including Chicago’s Roseland and Pullman neighborhoods
GRANTS AND FINANCIAL AID
- Catalog of Federal and Domestic Assistance
- Search the database of all Federal assistance programs
- A central storehouse of information on over 1000 federal grant programs.
- Small Business Administration Financial Assistance
- Find programs offering financial assistance to small businesses.
- Student Aid on the Web
- A guide to federal student aid programs.
HOSPITALS AND HEALTH CARE
- Advocate South Suburban Hospital
- Cook County Immunization Program
- Illinois All Kids Healthcare
- Illinois program covering immunizations, lead screenings, hearing and vision screenings, and more.
- Illinois Hospitals Report Card
- Consumer ratings for health care choices in Illinois.
- Immunization Clinics
- List of free and low-cost options for school immunizations.
- Immunization Program
- Information on Ingalls Memorial Hospital and other South Suburban health centers.
- Alliance to End Homelessness in Suburban Cook County
- Suburban Cook County services for the homeless.
- Chicago Housing Authority
- Public housing assistance for the City of Chicago.
- Hope Now
- Free foreclosure prevention assistance.
- Housing Authority of Cook County
- Rental assistance for low-income housing in Cook County. Check here to find out about Section 8 Waiting List applications.
- Housing Choice Voucher Program
- Low income rental assistance (Section 8).
- Illinois Housing Development Authority
- Assistance information for homeowners, renters, landlords and senior citizens.
- An independent website providing information on Green/Energy Efficient Mortgages, with a free and anonymous mortgage loan and rate calculator.
- National Fair Housing
- National association with local affiliates dedicated to ending housing discrimination.
- South Suburban PADS
- South Suburban shelters and services for the homeless.
JOBS AND EDUCATION
- Academic Earth
- Pursue a world-class education for free. Download and view lectures and courses from some of the best universities in the country.
- Criminal Justice Programs
- For those interested in a career in Criminal Justice, this website is a comprehensive resource for information on occupational outlook and educational opportunities nationwide.
- GED Program for Cook County
- Find test sites and dates for the GED
- Find GED and adult education resources
- Khan Academy
- Free videos on math, science, and business topics for students.
- Medical Assisting Program
- For those interested in a career as a Medical Assistant, this website is a comprehensive resource for information on this program Statewide.
- AOL Jobs
- Black Collegian
- For college students and recent grads who need help with job hunting, researching employers, and accepting offers.
- Career Builder
- Another extensive jobs database which allows you to post a resume and apply for jobs. A good source for local jobs as well.
- Illinois Department of Unemployment Security
- Find out about unemployment insurance, placement services, job fairs, and training programs in Illinois.
- Illinois Skills Match
- Based on your skills and experience, this website will match you up with suitable Illinois employers. Enter your information and you are automatically contacted when opportunities arise.
- Illinois WorkNet
- Connects individuals with jobs, eduction and training opportunities throughout the state.
- Another comprehensive job search engine which also includes newspaper classified ads. As an example, you can search for jobs
- A professional networking website which helps you meet the people who can help you reach your goals. Sign up for a free account to connect with other professionals with skills and job experiences which are similar to yours.
- LinkUp is a new and unique job search engine that only lists jobs taken directly from company websites.
- The most extensive database of job opportunities, including international jobs. You can sign up for a free account to post your resume and apply for jobs. You can upload your existing resume or let Monster help you build it and then save it as a Word document for printing.
- Quintessential Careers
- Contains articles and links aimed at college students and recent graduates.
- Simply Hired
- A comprehensive job search engine which covers thousands of job sites and companies. You can search locally, too.
- Find Legal Help
- Get help finding a lawyer, seeking free legal services, or researching your legal problem on your own.
- Free Court Dockets
- Free access to over 33 million court case dockets
- Gale Legal Forms
- Find personal and business related legal forms to download.
- Handbook on Worker’s Compensation and Occupational Diseases
- a general guide to the rights and obligations of employees who have experienced work-related injuries or diseases, as well as the rights and obligations of their employers, under the Illinois Workers’ Compensation and Occupational Diseases Acts.
- Illinois Legal Advocate
- Those who assist others in navigating legal resources will find training and practice support here.
- Illinois Legal Aid
- This extensive website features a variety of resources to assist patrons in answering legal questions. Se habla español.
- Illinois Pro Bono
- Training and practice support for volunteer attorneys. NOTE: This website is intended for use by attorneys; it is NOT intended as a resource for finding volunteer attorneys.
- City of Country Club Hills
- Country Club Hills Chamber of Commerce
- Village of Hazel Crest
- Hazel Crest Chamber of Commerce
- Hazel Crest Park District
- Bloom Township
- Bremen Township
- Thornton Township
- Rich Township
- District 144
- District 152 1/2
- District 160
- District 228
- Hillcrest High School
- Homewood-Flossmoor High School
- Marion Catholic High School
- Rich Central High School
- Thornwood High School
- Tinley Park High School
- School Report Cards
- St. John’s Lutheran Church and School
- St. Emeric Catholic Church
- Full Gospel Christian Assembly
- All Nations Community Church
- St. Anne Catholic Church
- Aunt Martha’s Youth Service and Social Center
- Offers a variety of programs and services for children, teens and families in Illinois. Services include child welfare, community based healthcare, juvenile justice and prevention services.
- Chicago Lighthouse
- Programs and services for the blind and visually impaired.
- Family Guidance Centers
- A not-for-profit behavioral healthcare organization that treats and prevents substance abuse.
- Illinois Identification Cards
- Illinois-issued identity cards for non-drivers including seniors, disabled persons and the homeless.
- Illinois Talking Books Outreach Center
- Services for people with visual or reading disabilities.
- Learning Ally
- Accessible Audiobooks for students with visual impairment, dyslexia, or learning disabilities. Formerly Recording for the Blind & Dyslexic.
- Metropolitan Family Services
- Metropolitan is a source for counseling, parenting programs, after-school programs, legal assistance, respite care, or mental health services.
- Social Services Connector
- From the Cook County Sheriff, a directory of social service organizations that may be useful when facing an eviction.
- South Suburban Family Shelter
- Programs and services for families suffering from domestic violence.
- South_Southwest Suburban United Way
- Sponsors a variety of health and human services agencies in the Southland.
- The official State of Illinois manual
- Find services for motorists, small businesses, seniors and persons with disabilities
- – Search for unclaimed property
- – Sign up for Illinois Cares RX
- Services from the Illinois State Library
- Includes information on Horticulture, Parenting & Seniors, Nutrition, Schools, 4-H, Environmental Stewardship and more
- Get information on state use of federal stimulus funds and projects associated with stimulus investment
- Download your federal tax forms
- Download Illinois state tax forms
- Find Center for Economic Progress Tax Sites for low-income families and individuals
- Find your nearest IRS office for tax assistance
- Find out if you qualify for free federal tax filing online
- Check the status of your appeal
- Download Indiana state tax forms
- Serving suburban Chicago
- Chicago suburban commuter railway
- Flight information for Midway and O’Hare
- Tollway information including IPASS
- Commuter trains from Northwest Indiana
- Inexpensive bus transportation from Chicago’s Union Station
- Long distance train service, with a station in Homewood